Vocational Training is the basis for securing the next generation of skilled workers that our economy urgently needs, and therefore plays an important role in Baden-Württemberg. We’ll only be able to face and master the numerous challenges in the future and keep pace with advancing digitalisation if we have well-skilled workers.
For this reason Baden-Württemberg focuses on high-quality and modern vocational education and training (VET) according to the German dual training system which is the basis and guarantor for Baden-Württemberg as a business location, for competitiveness and innovative strength.
Following this dual system, the trainees learn 70% in the company itself, where the companies are responsible for the quality of the training, and the other 30% in vocational schools. The training content is continuously adapted to the current technological and economic development, especially in the area of digitalisation.
On the initiative of the social partners, i.e. ultimately the companies and the employees, the training occupations are often modernised in procedures regulated by federal law (e.g. metal-electrical professions, building renovation). In addition, new training occupations can be created if the social partners see a need for this (occupational examples: e-commerce clerk, electronics technician for building systems integration).
The dual VET system contributes to low youth and long-term unemployment in Baden-Württemberg and in addition to that offers benefits for employers, as well as for trainees. A company that applies the dual system can train directly to their needs and recruite skilled workers of tomorrow themselves. This way they can gain full-fledged employees right after their graduation. For trainees, this means they have high chances of being taken on by the company after graduation. Furthermore, dual VET functions as a highly “integrative” system in which everyone can contribute their potential.
Moreover, young people can receive special support in the transition from school to vocational training and work if needed. In Baden-Württemberg there are also programmes to promote networks that are committed to integrating young migrants into training and bringing them closer to the dual VET system and initiatives to support girls and women in STEM professions (science, technology, engineering and math).
There are currently huge challenges for the business and employment sector in Baden-Württemberg, such as the demographic development and the accompanying decrease in school graduates, the cut by the Corona-pandemic, where many vocational orientation measures were cancelled for a long period of time, as well as the continuing trend towards university studies and higher education qualifications.
Unfortunately, young people and their parents, especially academics, are often unaware or prejudiced about the contents and opportunities of vocational training. This is why Baden-Württemberg already started with vocational orientation in schools and also offers several programmes to help young people to recognise their strengths early on and to find the company that is the right match for them.
The state government of Baden-Württemberg in cooperation with the economy, trade unions, the federal employment agency and state municipal associations additionally launched the so-called “Ausbildungsbündnis”, which is a contractual agreement in the field of VET with binding goals and concrete periods of implementation. This agreement shall help to attract more young people to vocational training overall, enable more direct transitions from school to training and provide young people and companies with the best possible support before and during training if necessary.
If you want to find out more about the actions of Baden-Württemberg in the field of vocational training, please click here.