On July 10, 2023, the event “The Danube Region at the Turn of Times” took place at the Haus der Wirtschaft in Stuttgart. 180 participants from the countries of the Danube Region, five State Secretaries and numerous panelists and experts came together to discuss the future of the Danube region.
Under the Danube Region Strategy, the event highlighted challenges like the Ukraine conflict and the problems the Republic of Moldova is facing. In a panel and three expert forums (“The Green Deal – as finance and business opportunity” , “Foreign Trade” and “Capacity Building in the context of the Strategy for the Danube Region”) solution approaches were discussed. Hosted by State Secretaries Florian Hassler and Dr. Patrick Rapp, it featured a keynote by Dr. Klaus Friesenbichler, WIFO and deputy director of the Austrian Supply Chain Intelligence Institute (ASCII), and discussions with officials from Croatia, Slovenia, and Germany.
In this document, you’ll find a comprehensive overview of all pertinent content, presentations, and highlights from the past event, providing you with an in-depth insight into the occasion.
- The Program of the Event (02_10.07.2023_Event The Danube Region at the turn of times_Program_06.07.2023)
- Press release from the state of Baden-Württemberg, Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labour and Tourism
- Video Message by Nathalie Verschelde, Deputy head of unit, European Commission DG REGIO https://youtu.be/Yz1TY6S2-LU?si=PMCAmHITTzSqVN0n
- Keynote Speech “Economic resilience in turbulent times” held by Dr. Klaus Friesenbichler, Austrian Institute of Economic Research (WIFO) and deputy director of the Austrian Supply Chain Intelligence Institute (ASCII) (Friesenbichler_2023_10July_online)
- Also, view Dr. Klaus Friesenbichler’s summary and evaluation of the panel discussion on this LinkedIn Video
- Youtube Video “Macro-regional and multilevel cooperation, the key for digital and green transition” (Event video with interviews of the politicians and experts)
- Browse the photo galleries of the panel discussion and the expert forum “The Green Deal – as Business and Finance opportunity” for a visual recap of the event’s memorable moments
Of particular interest might be the summarized key messages articulated by the participants of the expert forum “The Green Deal – as finance and business opportunity”, in response to the moderator’s questions for “Take aways and recommendations” at the end of the discussion. (Find the video footage on LinkedIn)
Moderation: Dorothee Fischer, Co-Founder and CEO Legardo Sharp Fischer, and Dr. Gerd Meier zu Köcker, CEO VDE VDI IT GmbH
- Dr. Jonathan Loeffler (Executive Manager, Steinbeis Europa Zentrum Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg): “Don’t do it alone.”
- Prof. Dr. Dieter Hertweck (Research Professor at Reutlingen University, Baden-Württemberg): “It will be important in the future that companies think the sustainable and digital transformation in one dimension and vision.”
- Sandra Schneeloch (Manager Financial Services Transformation, KPMG ESG EMA Hub, Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia): Banks and investors are eagerly financing businesses focused on sustainability and decarbonization, especially public sector projects. Corporates seeking funding can turn to banks and consultancies for financial and sustainability auditing support. The market is rapidly evolving towards sustainability.
- Marko Mitrovic (CEO, Optifood, Maribor, Slovenia): Europe’s strength lies in the circular economy and green solutions, setting it apart from China and the US. There’s a need to accelerate efforts due to rising competition and cultivate a collective European mindset to seize these opportunities. The time to act is now.
- Mateja Dermanstia (Founder and CEO, Anteja sustainability consultancy, Ljubljana, Slovenia): Prioritize creating green market solutions, then approach banks for funding, as the financial sector is the primary force advocating for green initiatives.
- Francesca Passeri (Deputy Director, European Crowdfunding Network, Brussels, Belgium): There’s a collective call to action, especially in the finance sector. The banking system has the tools and criteria but needs to adapt. Embracing change and cooperation is essential, and the industry, being young and adaptable, is ready and willing to lead this transformation.
- Balázs Barta (Managing Director, Pannon Business Network and Founder, Managing Director am-LAB, Szombathely, Hungary): “Always always bring a backup version of your presentation in your pocket.”